About Golden Key
Golden Key International Honour Society, founded on 29 November 1977, is an academic honor society which recognizes and encourages scholastic achievement and excellence among college and university students from all academic disciplines. In an effort to reflect the Society’s diversity and international presence, Golden Key uses the globally accepted spelling of “honour” in its name.
Golden Key has emerged as one of the most dynamic, forward-thinking organizations in higher education. Committed to an ethos of recognizing academic achievement and encouraging altruistic service, the Society’s on-campus presence has reached over 400 chapters at colleges and universities in eight countries: Australia, Canada, India, Malaysia, New Zealand, South Africa, The Bahamas and the United States.
The Society offers its members over $1,000,000 (USD) annually through numerous scholarship and award programs. Members are also connected to exclusive career opportunities and assistance through Golden Key’s partnerships with major corporations and graduate programs. The Society provides campus and community service opportunities enabling personal growth and leadership development as well as collaborating with university faculty and administrators to develop and maintain high standards of education.
The Society maintains active membership in several organizations including:
- Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS)
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA)
- National Scholarship Providers Association (NSPA)
- American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
- National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals (NAGAP)
The Society is pleased to have more than 20,000 Honorary members of the organization involved with the Society. Honorary members are elected by local Golden Key chapters and are individuals who are active on campus or in the community. These Honorary members reflect the qualities and values of Golden Key members and are active in areas of scholarship, leadership or service. Some of our Honorary members include:
- Roberta Bondar, Canada’s First Female Astronaut
- Bill Cosby, Entertainer
- The Most Reverend Desmond M. Tutu, Anglican Archbishop Emeritus of Cape Town
- Ronald W. Reagan, Former US President
- Ian Thorpe, Olympic Gold Medalist
- Elie Wiesel, Nobel Laureate and Author
Golden Key is incorporated as a nonprofit organization under Section 501 (c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code.
We invite you to contact Golden Key International Headquarters or any of our staff or volunteer leaders to learn more about Golden Key.